Terms and Conditions
Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before using the Service.
Your access to and use of the Service is conditioned on your acceptance of and compliance with these Terms. These Terms apply to all visitors, users and others who access or use the Service.
By accessing or using the Service you agree to be bound by these Terms. If you disagree with any part of the terms then you may not access the Service.
These maps are used on many websites and in many applications, and we want to encourage that as much as possible. Since there are limits to everyone’s resources, we ask you to respect certain guidelines.
- Use of our website and services implies agreement with these terms.
- Registration is required before using any of our services.
- You must be over 18 years of age to use our services.
- All data provided by our services are done so on an “as is” basis. We provide no warranties or guarantees of any kind as to the correctness or usability of the data.
- By using our services you agree that we are not responsible, in any way, for any consequences resulting from use of information provided by our services.
- We may delete any account we deem to be inactive.
- We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at any time.
- Attribution must be given to both “Thunderforest” and “OpenStreetMap contributors”.
Users of your site/application must have a working links to www.thunderforest.com and www.openstreetmap.org/copyright, for example:
Maps © Thunderforest, Data © OpenStreetMap contributors
For media that doesn’t support links, such as posters, books and other printed media, then you can provide attribution as follows:
Maps © www.thunderforest.com, Data © www.osm.org/copyright
Thunderforest offers a monthly subscription option. We don’t offer a pay annually option at the moment.
- Payments are processed monthly, on the same day each month based on the date of your account upgrade.
- Payments auto-renew each month unless you upgrade, downgrade or cancel your account.
- We accept payments by credit or debit card. We currently accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express.
- If your payment fails, we will send you a notification and give you a grace period to contact your bank or update your card information.
- We may from time to time change the prices for our plans. If we make changes that affect your plan, we will give you at least 30 days notice.
- Customers may cancel at any time for any reason. Cancellation does not entitle customers to a refund of any fees already paid.
Absolutely no bulk-downloading scraping, pre-downloading, pre-caching or anything similar without an appropriate plan.
- If you wish to make bulk downloads, please upgrade your account to the Small Business plan or higher.
- We reserve the right to block or restrict your account if you bulk download on an inappropriate plan.
- Please get in touch if you’d like to discuss bulk downloading. We’re very friendly if you approach us for a chat. We just get annoyed when people try and take advantage.
High Traffic Services
Some sites and applications prove to be extremely popular, sometimes unexpectedly. If this turns out to be the case for you, then we will get in touch and ask you to upgrade to an appropriate service plan.
- We won’t charge you for a short-term traffic surge - instead, we can temporarily throttle traffic to avoid you going over your quota.
- If you’d rather pay for all surge traffic and ensure a constant service during unexpected events, then please get in touch.
Thunderforest offers a free plan to test out our product. This plan has various limitations. Please respect them.
- We offer a free plan at our discretion.
- We reserve the right to modify or withdraw the free plan.
- We reserve the right to cancel any accounts that repeatedly misuse the free plan.
Usage and Licences
Commercial use is permitted and encouraged.
- All maps are provided under a Creative Commons licence, specifically CC-BY-SA 2.0.
- Map data from OpenStreetMap is licensed under the ODbL. You must be aware of the details.
- Tiles may be cached in-browser and on-device for offline use.
- Apps may retain tiles beyond the HTTP Expiry date, until fresh tiles are downloaded.
- Caching proxies or other redistribution methods are not permitted.
- Your application must provide honest HTTP Referer and/or User-Agent headers.
- If your application or site puts too great a load on the servers, then we will discuss other approaches. If you are unsure, please get in touch.