Terms and Conditions
These maps are used on many websites and in many applications, and we want to
encourage that as much as possible. Since there are limits to everyone’s
resources, here are some simple guidelines.
- Use of our website and services implies agreement with these terms.
- Registration is required before using any of our services.
- You must be over 18 years of age to use our services.
- All data provided by our services are done so on an “as is” basis. We provide no warranties or guarantees of any kind as to the correctness or usability of the data.
- By using our services you agree that we are not responsible, in any way, for any consequences resulting from use of information provided by our services.
- Customers may cancel at any time for any reason. Cancelation does not entitle customers to a refund of any fees already paid.
- We may delete any account we deem to be inactive.
- We reserve the right to change these terms and conditions at any time.
- API keys are required for all services.
- All tiles follow standard Web Mercator naming conventions, but
check the URL carefully for the maps you are using.
- The tiles are refreshed continuously, but you should use the Expiry headers
- Domain aliases are available for working around browser limitations (see the
- Your application must provide honest HTTP Referer and/or User-Agent headers.
- Attribution must be given to both “Thunderforest” and “OpenStreetMap
Users of your site/application must have a working links to
www.thunderforest.com and www.openstreetmap.org/copyright, for example:
Maps © Thunderforest, Data © OpenStreetMap contributors
For media that doesn’t support links, such as posters, books and other printed media, then you can provide attribution as follows:
Maps © www.thunderforest.com, Data © www.osm.org/copyright
Thunderforest Global Maps Services
- Commercial use is permitted and encouraged.
- All maps are provided under a Creative Commons licence, specifically
- Map data from OpenStreetMap is licensed under the ODbL.
You must be aware of the details.
- Tiles may be cached in-browser and on-device for offline use.
- Apps may retain tiles beyond the HTTP Expiry date, until fresh tiles are downloaded.
- Caching proxies or other redistribution methods are not permitted.
- Absolutely no bulk-downloading scraping, pre-downloading, pre-caching or
anything similar. If you need the ability to do this, you’ll need prior
written agreement and an appropriate service plan.
Please see further details about Bulk Downloads, below.
- If your application or site puts too great a load on the servers, then we will
discuss other approaches. If you are unsure, please get in touch.
High Traffic Services
Some sites and applications prove to be extremely popular, sometimes unexpectedly. If this turns out to be the case
for you, then we will get in touch and ask you to upgrade to an appropriate service plan.
If you experience a sudden surge of traffic on a small project, the last thing you want is to be landed
with an unexpected bill. We won’t charge you for a short-term traffic surge - instead, we can temporarily
throttle traffic to avoid you going over your quota. If you’d rather pay for all surge traffic and ensure
a constant service during unexpected events, then please get in touch.
It’s a popular feature on many mobile applications to provide the ability to
pre-cache or bulk download areas of the map - your customers can do this from
the comfort of their own home, and avoid roaming charges and delays on slower
connections. However, the number of requests generated by even a small number of users
is significant, and so this is not permitted on the Hobby Project or Solo Developer service plans.
Please don’t perform any bulk downloads without an appropriate service plan - if you do,
we reserve the right to block or restrict your account without warning.
If you wish to make bulk downloads, please upgrade your account to the Small Business plan or higher.